Pages

Friday, August 15, 2014

Squirmy Wormy

Since I home schooled my son from March of this year till June, I spent a lot of time looking up material to use from the library. I thought it could be interesting to share with you some of my favorite book finds. Some of these are related to children with special needs, some regarding feelings & emotions, and some may just be educational. I hope that some of these might be useful to you and may in some cases bring some help or understanding to some challenges you may be facing with your child. I'm going to start with one of my favorites.



I just loved this book. Squirmy Wormy is the story of a boy named Tyler who has autism and a Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD), just like my little man. The book goes through different situations where Tyler might do what others perceive as silly things and then explains why he may be doing them. It continues then to explain ways that Tyler can help himself and what he can do instead in those situations. The book is easy to understand with colorful imagery to help explain what living with autism and SPD could be like. While not every situation is one that my son deals with, like arm flapping for instance, there is many others that spoke directly to how SPD affects him. It's a great book for parents who may want some insight as to what an SPD is and if it's something that could be affecting your child. I related alot to some of the solutions in this book, as they are some of the same coping mechanisms that are being used at school for my son. It really is a great book and reinforces the theme "I Can Help Myself". Now I can't help but call my son, my little squirmy wormy.

I look forward to reading Autistic? How Silly Is That? also by the same author.


No comments:

Post a Comment